- It originated in India about 5,000 years ago
Even though it’s just become super popular, the practice has been around for a long time.
- It can help reduce pain in the body.
Certain poses can be used consistently to strengthen your muscles, for example, in your back to reduce back pain.
- There are different kinds of yoga.
It’s not just about slowly moving through poses which some think is “boring”. There is also fast paced yoga called Vinyasa which keeps you moving through asanas fairly quickly.
- “Yoga” means to “unite” in Sanskrit
Sanskrit is the original language for yoga. You can think of this union in any way you like. The mind, body and spirit, you and the world around you- whichever union you prefer to keep you motivated.
- Each yoga pose (asana) has its own original name in Sanskrit.
For example, the wheel pose is called Urdva Dhanurasana.
Photo by CATHY PHAM
Thanks for reading,